[linux-lvm] resize an ext3 on an LV

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Wed Jan 29 09:29:01 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-29 09:16:15 -0600, Alexander Lazarevich <alazarev at itg.uiuc.edu>
wrote in message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0301290900350.22463-100000 at zeus.itg.uiuc.edu>:
> A rehash of some questions I asked earlier, but I want to clarify:
>
> Redhat 7.3, 2.4.18-19.7.xsmp kernel, using LVM 1.03.
>
> I've got a 180GB LV (/dev/homevg/userslv) which contains an ext3
> filesystem (mount point /home/users).
>
> Once I umount the /dev/homevg/userslv, can I use resize2fs to extend the
> ext3 filesystem? Or must I first remove the journal from ext3, then
> resize, then add the journal back to it, then remount?

You can directly enlarge the filesystem, but, of course, you've got to
extend the logical volume before that... You don't need to remove the
journal, at least, this worked numerous times for me:-)

However, backup is always a good idea, though.

MfG, JBG

--
   Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw at lug-owl.de    . +49-172-7608481
   "Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur