Re: [linux-lvm] LVM 1.0.7, kernel 2.4.21 and snapshots over ext3 filesystem

Wolfgang, thank you very, very much for your advice.

As you told me, I've downloaded "fresh" copies of Linux 2.4.21 kernel, LVM
1.0.7 and linux-2.4.21-VFS-lock.patch (at
http://evms.sourceforge.net/patches/1.2.1/2.4.21/).

Following your instructions, I generated and patched the kernel using
lvm-1.0.7-2.4.21.patch. After that, I tried to patch the kernel using
linux-2.4.21-VFS-lock.patch and I received an error message from patch
program requiring me a file path to patch evms.c source file. I do not
have installed evms package, so I decided to skip that patch, and continue
patching lvm module and I recompiled the whole kernel using my custom
configuration (make menuconfig; Load configuration option...).

Now, I'm able to create a snapshot and mount it, but I receive a strange
warning message (even if I mount it readonly):

$~# mount -t ext3 -r /dev/storage/snap /mnt/temporal/
Can't write to read-only device 3a:04
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
Can't write to read-only device 3a:04

Anyway, the snapshot is mounted and it's visible... So, it seems to
work... What's your opinion about this?

Thanks a lot for you help and advice,
Alberto Picon

--