[linux-lvm] LVM disk died

I was searching through the LVM mailing list archives and someone said:

> I read the FAQs and one of them shows how to recover from a dead drive. It
> is says you lose the data in the Logical Volume but I'm hoping just the
> data on the physical disk that died and not the entire volume. Yep, as explained above

can someone direct me to the faq that shows me how to recover from a dead drive.

I had LVM spanning 4 HDDs and one will no longer spin up. That was also the disk housing the / filesystem. The / filesystem was not LVM but ext3 but there was an LVM partition on there. I have backups, thank god but they a couple of days old.

I have to reinstall the Operating system (redhat 7.3) from scratch, if I install as I did before, will I be able to recover the data on the remaining 3 disks? A friend said it should be as easy as a couple of commands but I am still such a newbie to LVM and this is the first time, since installing it I have had to think about it again.

Any tips anyone can offer would be appreciated or directions to the faq mentioned above. I searched the sistina site but to no avail.

Many Thanks,

Melinda