[linux-lvm] Re: Changing MD device partition type

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 02:51:35PM -0700, Prakash Achuthan wrote:
I have a software RAID volume (of four 160 GB harddisk) which is to be added to a separate volume group. Now, when I do a pvcreate (pvcreate /dev/md3), it fails saying "Invalid phyiscal volume". All the disks in the RAID volume have their partition type set to "linux auto detect". One of the mails in a mailing list says that the partition type of the md0 should be "8e".

nope, you cant' change the partition type and you don't need to, the problem lies somewhere else. lvm1 is very picky (serverely broken) about device file names, do a lvmdiskscan and or cat /proc/partitions and check which device name you find. if you have devfs compiled in the kernel and not mounted lvm user tools will NOT work.

i cc-ed lvm list which is a better place to ask elp on lvm...
regards,
L.

-- Luca Berra -- bluca comedia it Communication Media & Services S.r.l. /"\ \ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN X AGAINST HTML MAIL / \