[linux-lvm] help on PV

Duane Evenson devenson at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 13 09:14:02 UTC 2003

You will lose all the data on your 80G hard drive. This is because an
LVM drive pushes the filesystem back further on the drive to make space
for the PV, VG, and LV metadata.

You could move 40G of data to the new drive. Reduce the size of the
filesystem on your 80G by 40G. Repartition the drive to 2 40G
partitions. make the second partition a LVM partition. Move the
remaining data from the first 40G onto the second and make the first
partion an LVM partition.
LVM will see all these partitions and drives as one so the number of
partitions won't matter.

Actually, if you have almost 80G or more now, you'll have to partition
the 80G hard drive into 3 partitions instead of 2, but the procedure is
similar.