[linux-lvm] Red Hat Advanced Server + LVM

Alasdair G Kergon agk at uk.sistina.com
Mon Jun 23 08:23:02 UTC 2003

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 01:10:20PM +0530, Sharad Tiwari wrote:
> If I have created a volume group(say 'testvg') containg two physical
> volumes say /dev/sda5 and /dev/sda6, and then remove one of the
> physical volume say /dev/sda6 and then do a pvdisplay it shows
> /dev/sda6 as an unknown device ...

> Now doing a vgreduce gives the proper result. So I did not understand
> why we are prividing this feature (using pvremove) of removing a
> physical volume from  an existing VG.

pvremove is the opposite of pvcreate - it removes the LVM label from the
device that you want to remove from the LVM system and use for something
else.

It is *not* a replacement for vgreduce.

Obviously the warning needs to be made clearer - you need to think
carefully about what you're doing before using -ff.

> Really WIPE LABELS from physical volume "/dev/sda7" of volume group "testvg" [y/n]? y
>   WARNING: Wiping physical volume label from /dev/sda7 of volume group "testvg"
>   Labels on physical volume "/dev/sda7" successfully wiped

Alasdair
agk at uk.sistina.com