[linux-lvm] read-only media in a LVM?

Sean P. Kane spkane at genomatica.com
Mon Jun 23 17:13:02 UTC 2003

Ok, let me clarify a bit. I mis-spoke, when I spoke of memory I meant
ramdisk (fs). This is basically what I was actually visualizing in my
head:

1) Boot cdrom into a Linux instance.
2) Mount a read-write filesystem into memory (this is why I asked the
size issue, obviously coping the whole cdrom to memory wouldn't be
practical)
3) Create a snapshot (I'm am really new to lvm, so I'm still learning
what all this means), which would be a small reference table of some
sort, plus 32k blocks of changed data.
4)This would then allow "changes" to the cdrom while running in that
session until the ram disk filled up? Correct?
5) If a file is created then deleted in an environment like this will
the space it was using in the snapshot fs be released?

The use I have in mind for this, doesn't need a ton of additional files
added, after boot-up but would need a lot of temp files created and then
cleaned up.

What are the basic commands I would need to achieve this? I've read the
LVM howto (doesn't cover LVM2, that I saw) and still not quite sure.

Thanks,
Sean

Sean P. Kane
spkane at genomatica.com
Lead Infrastructure Architect
Genomatica, Inc.
"When we destroy something man has created we call it vandalism......
 When we destroy something that Gaia has created we call it progress."