[linux-lvm] vgscan and initrd

Mark lvm at ruby.ridersoft.net
Fri Jun 27 08:34:04 UTC 2003

That's one of the solutions I had heard over at the Gentoo-LVM forums.

I've tried adjusting my initrd, both to manualy load the pdc_new module (for my raid controller) and adjusting the size of the initial ramdisk to 4096.

Didn't work. And still I don't get why vgscan wouldn't work while chroot'ed.

Also, the lvm root partition is only about 6 or 7 gb in size, would that constitute 'to big' ?

What do you mean by

> mount a tmpfs volume over /etc, and meanwhile I have been recreating the
> initrd image leaving enough space to allow vgscan to run.

I can (and did I think) increase the size of the initrd, but how do i mount a tmpfs volume over /etc ??

To be complete, I am running (on the new system anyways) a 2.4.21 kernel, and lvm 1.0.7.

Booting into the system with any other kernel, such as gentoo-xfs-2.4.19 or Suse-Rescue-2.4.6 works like a charm.

Still confused, but gratefull for any help

Mark