Re: [linux-lvm] lvm and md

Peter Yao wrote:
why would you need to hide the hardware details from md ?

I am using some hot-plugging disks and their device number may change after reboot. For example, if i build md with /dev/sda and /dev/sdb, after reboot md may cannot start because the two disks' device name change to /dev/sdc and /dev/sdd. If i build md on top of lvm this problem is avoided. Can you give me some advice for this issue?

it depends on what you use to start your md devices, using raidstart with an /etc/raidtab file shows this behaviour, using auto-detect does not but is only available at boot. best thing would be to use mdadm instead of raidstart

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~neilb/source/mdadm

with this you can define your raid arrays based on UUID instead.

to create mdadm conf file use:

echo "DEVICE partitions" >> /etc/mdadm.conf
mdadm -E -s |grep ARRAY >>  /etc/mdadm.conf

--
Luca Berra -- bluca comedia it
 /"\