Re: [linux-lvm] Long-term snapshots possible?

On Tuesday, March 11, 2003, at 10:28 AM, Jason Smith wrote:

My problem is, this does not currently look possible without a severe
performance hit. If a volume has, for example, five active snapshots,
then the deltas seem to get written five times, once per snapshot volume.

I posted a patch (in January?) to implement chained snapshots with LVM1, ensuring that a delta is only copied once, at most. The downside is that the snapshots are no longer independent, and you can't remove a recent snapshot without invalidating all the older snapshots. But it is more efficient.

I didn't keep the message, but I believe chained snapshots will be implemented in LVM2 sometime this year.

Dale J. Stephenson
dalestephenson mac com