[linux-lvm] Long-term snapshots possible?

Theo Van Dinter felicity at kluge.net
Wed Mar 12 15:02:04 UTC 2003

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 09:46:16PM +0100, jon+lvm at silicide.dk wrote:
> > My problem is, this does not currently look possible without a severe
> > performance hit.  If a volume has, for example, five active snapshots,
> > then the deltas seem to get written five times, once per snapshot volume.
>
> How would you not do that ? You have to store the snapshots some how.

It would be similar to netapp's snapshots.  the active data blocks are
shared with the snapshots until a change occurs in active, then active
gets a new block and all the snapshots keep sharing the old block. :)
Very fast, and low space usage.

"Mmmm, WAFL ...  <gargle gargle>" -- Homer Simpson, IT Manager   ;)

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"To win, you must treat a pressure situation as an opportunity to succeed,