[linux-lvm] expanding on LVM2

hi all,

       I have successfully installed LVM2 on linux 2.4.19.

I want to do some further work on that, and am not sure if that is already available, so could someone please elaborate on the availability of a kernel API / library in the userland, i.e What are the library exposed or the kernel APIs available for an lvm consumer who wants to add new functionalities or write customised LVM customised LVM administrative tool.

Warm regards
Sharad