[linux-lvm] Data recovery from physical volumes?

Is there any way for me to recover (some of?) my data from LVM, given
that LVM does not recognize my volume group, I have lost my /etc/lvm*,
but I have the original physical volumes intact? Are there any tools I
could use to do this? The LVM will be moderately fragmented...