Re: [linux-lvm] LVM & LFS support

On Tuesday, 29 April 2003, at 14:09:44 -0400,
Selimaj, Naxhije wrote:

> Does LVM support files greater that 2GB?
> I'm running the default LVM (1.0.3) on RH8.  I currently have a 1.2TB
> LVM  ext3 filesystem mounted.  If >2GB  file is supported, what changes
> need to be made to my existing setup.
I think the 2 GB limit on files is a filesystem limitation, not a block
device limitation, and as LVM is a block device level feature, it should
not impose any limits on file sizes.

As far as I know, RH8 is recent enough to fully support large files
(greater than 2 GB), but maybe you are using some sort of application
not ported still to support large files, or an application on your.

I seem to remember that things like "old" cpio didn't support large
files, check if this is the case with "strace", and look for file
open()'s with flags O_LARGEFILE. From open(2):

              On  32-bit  systems  that  support the Large Files System, allow
              files whose sizes cannot be represented in 31 bits to be opened.

Hope it helps.

Jose Luis Domingo Lopez
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian Linux Sid (Linux 2.5.69)