[linux-lvm] What are they talking about?

Kevin Corry kevcorry at us.ibm.com
Wed May 21 16:12:02 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 21 May 2003 15:53, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> I understand how LVM2, DM, and EVMS are architected.
>
> I still have no idea what the article is talking about.
>
> Are you saying that the referenced sources just don't understand how it all
> works and that the "industrial-strength Logical Volume Manager" they want
> is achievable via the current DM implementation in combination with
> appropriate high quality user-space tools?

Yes, that would be my opinion. DM provides all of the infrastructure that the
kernel requires. (It can be further enhanced by adding sub-modules
("targets") to provide new ways to map devices). Then it's up to the
user-space tools to figure out how to best use this infrastructure.

> That certainly agrees with what I thought and why I was so confused by the
> article.

I was quite confused by the article as well. :)

--
Kevin Corry
kevcorry at us.ibm.com
http://evms.sourceforge.net/