Re: [linux-lvm] LVM on Raid 5 Performance?

-- "Jason H. Smith" <jason oes co th>

I don't know if this answers your question, but maybe search the archives
for my posts a few months ago.  On 2.4, there's a misfeature when using
LVM with RAID5.  Basically, the two will cause your system not to cache
any data, and to sync to disk immediately, once you create a snapshot
volume.  Apparently, this will be addressed in 2.6.

So if you want RAID5 and LVM, consider hardware acceleration.

I'm having perfectly good luck with a DAC960 and 4 x IBM 160MB devices. The LVM issues pretty much drop out since the drives are grouped into one "device" at the hardware level. Striping the filesystem (ext2) helps (see the stride option of mkfs.ext2), so does turning on write caching.

                                           +1 888 359 3508