[linux-lvm] Instability with 2.6, recovering (meta)data?

Toad toad at amphibian.dyndns.org
Mon Nov 10 11:13:01 UTC 2003

Each time I have deleted an LV on LVM2 on 2.6, it has corrupted my
metadata. Last time I did a vgcfgrestore on 2.4 and it worked, however I
have recently been bitten by some sort of incompatibility bug and my LVM
now only works on 2.6 (it might work on a 2.4+devmapper kernel, I'll
look into that). Here is what happens when I try to get my metadata
back:
root at amphibian:/usr/src/linux# vgdisplay -d -v
    Finding all volume groups
    Finding volume group "vg-big"
  invalid lv in extent map
  Couldn't fill logical volume maps.
  Volume group "vg-big" doesn't exist
root at amphibian:/usr/src/linux# pvscan -d -v
    Wiping cache of LVM-capable devices
    Wiping internal cache
    Walking through all physical volumes
  invalid lv in extent map
  Couldn't fill logical volume maps.
  No matching physical volumes found
root at amphibian:/usr/src/linux# vgcfgrestore -v -d vg-big
  PV /dev/hda is a different format (lvm1)
  Restore failed.

That last one is particularly perverse; I was always told that LVM1 and
LVM2 are compatible. Of course later I discovered this not to be the
case; after some operation or other (creating an LV? resizing one?) on
LVM on 2.6, I could no longer access my LVs under 2.4/LVM1.

Any help?
Matthew J Toseland - toad at amphibian.dyndns.org