[linux-lvm] LVM2 and whole disk booting

I've noticed LVM2 PVs in a partition don't use the first sector, does this mean you can now put lilo in the first sector of a whole disk PV and boot from it?

The problem is I have already alocated 2 SATA disks as Whole disks (not a great idea in hindsight) and now my IDE boot disk is giving me SMART failure hints.  I would like to move root to an LV on the other disks and just remove the IDE disk and not replace it.

Thanks
Ateeq