Re: [linux-lvm] removing a bad HD

Trond Michelsen wrote:

Recently a harddrive in my LVM started giving me read-errors, so
naturally I wanted to replace the drive with a new one.

I recently went through this (with the added complication of some bad metadata) and you have a few options.

The best one may be to use dd (with NOERROR) to raw copy the contents from the old disk to a new one of the same size and then use the new one when doing the pvmove.

Another path is to upgrade to LVM2 (you may have to do this anyway, I needed some functionality in the LVM2 pvcreate to pull my stunt off) and use the "partial" feature. I haven't tried this myself.

There are more details of my tribulations just a few weeks back in the list archives, but feel free to ask if there's something missing (I had some private conversations with Heinz on the topic as well).

   / Rickard Olsson,IT-Konsult/
  / Telefon: +46 70 635 01 42/
 / http://www.webhackande.se/