[linux-lvm] inconsistent metadata

Mike Williams mike at gaima.co.uk
Fri Oct 10 08:15:06 UTC 2003

Hi guys,

As you may have guessed, from my posting, I'm having some LVM trouble.

Basically this is what has happened.
I got a new 200gig drive, and created an lvm1 pv/vg/lv. Copied loads of data
onto it, then put the drive into another machine.
After this worked I changed the metadata to lvm2.
Added another drive to the machine and extended the LV and extended the
filesystem, I then added another drive but created a new LV in the same VG,
then a third drive was added to a third LV.
And all was well, until...

Yesterday, even though everything was working, I was getting errors like:
Couldn't find device with uuid 'CrijJ6-qPj1-cSYX-HzQF-D4M8-TUkA-yK3FYc'.
Had to swap out the PSU this evening and then upon restarting couldn't
activate my VG :(

gandalf root # pvdisplay
  Couldn't find device with uuid 'CrijJ6-qPj1-cSYX-HzQF-D4M8-TUkA-yK3FYc'.
  Couldn't find device with uuid 'CrijJ6-qPj1-cSYX-HzQF-D4M8-TUkA-yK3FYc'.
  Couldn't find device with uuid 'CrijJ6-qPj1-cSYX-HzQF-D4M8-TUkA-yK3FYc'.
  Physical volume "unknown device" of volume group "filestore" is exported
  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               unknown device
  VG Name               filestore (exported)
  PV Size               189.88 GB / not usable 0
  Allocatable           yes (but full)
  PE Size (KByte)       32768
  Total PE              6076
  Free PE               0
  Allocated PE          6076
  PV UUID               CrijJ6-qPj1-cSYX-HzQF-D4M8-TUkA-yK3FYc

"unknown device" is /dev/hde, my new 200gig drive, which IS working fine, and
IS exactly where is was before. So, after some googling, and practice on
another empty drive I decided to do:

gandalf root # pvcreate --uuid CrijJ6-qPj1-cSYX-HzQF-D4M8-TUkA-yK3FYc /dev/hde
  No physical volume label read from /dev/hde
  Physical volume "/dev/hde" successfully created
Which fixed pvdisplay, woo (not)

gandalf root # pvdisplay |head
  Physical volume "/dev/hde" of volume group "filestore" is exported
  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/hde
  VG Name               filestore (exported)
  PV Size               189.88 GB / not usable 0
  Allocatable           yes (but full)
  PE Size (KByte)       32768
  Total PE              6076
  Free PE               0
  Allocated PE          6076
gandalf root # vgscan
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
  Found volume group "filestore" using metadata type lvm2
gandalf root # vgchange -a y
  Volume group filestore metadata is inconsistent
  Volume group for uuid not found:
3InK3jOE71aeco40b7L5c1cfU78EJpsk00000000000000000000000000000000
  Volume group filestore metadata is inconsistent
  Volume group for uuid not found:
3InK3jOE71aeco40b7L5c1cfU78EJpskPVV5#Hyv1z60d#OVfdcJC9TbA3tfsCV6
  Volume group filestore metadata is inconsistent
  Volume group for uuid not found:
3InK3jOE71aeco40b7L5c1cfU78EJpskp3dZg9RLNdmdRZFx96sbzQ9PEsZ37Wbn
  0 logical volume(s) in volume group "filestore" now active

Aargggh!

Can someone suggest a course of action to get at my data, please?
I just need to iron out this kink in the road and my life long devotion to LVM
will be complete! :)
Cheers

p.s. gandalf is an Athlon 1.4GHz (at 1GHz), with a gig of ram, on board ATA133
and a Promise PCI ATA66, running 2.6.0-test6, and LVM 2.00.06. The 3 drives
IDE drives are on the PCI card (with an additional drive), 4 drives on the
on-board controller, and 2 SCSI disks is on an Adaptec AIC-7892A U160.
Attached is (hopefully) the full output of {pv,vg,lv}display and
{pv,vg,lv}scan.

- --
Mike Williams