[linux-lvm] LVM ext3 support

I am running Redhat 9 with kernel 2.4.20-20.9. I am getting the following errors when trying to mount an LVM snapshot:

EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem.
EXT3-fs: write access unavailable, cannot proceed.

I saw a thread on redhat.com that said a kernel patch is needed. My question is where can I get the patch for this kernel, how do I install it, and why isn't this built into the kernel in the first place? Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

--
Anthony Mayes
UNIX Server Administration