[linux-lvm] Drive gone bad, now what?

Gert van der Knokke gertk at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 24 15:23:02 UTC 2003

Rickard Olsson wrote:

> John> Did you just concatentate or stripe the data across all the drives?
>

> Butting in, I would assume (dangerous, I know) concatenation and
> non-striped since that is the default LVM mode when creating LVs. This
> is the exact same setup I have, BTW.

Yes, it was just concatenation, no striping, since lvm is 'expandable as
needed' we opted for this.

> John> If you had just a simple concatenation of all the disks, then
> you are
> John> toast.  How do you expect LVM to restore the missing 60gb if
> there's
> John> no parity information or mirrored blocks?  It's impossible!

I didn't expect lvm to restore the missing data, I guessed it would just
let me access the rest of the data.

> Yes, but he can restore the LV (sans the missing 60 gigs, of course)
> and access the rest of the archive. I believe that's what he's after.

Yes

> The tools are already here. I did the same thing a while back. But it
> ain't always easy. :-)

> the deceased disk. Plug it in and pvcreate it (unless the old one had
> a LVM partition, in which case you fdisk and create a LVM partition on
> the new one):
> # pvcreate -ff /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/disc
>
> Restore your metadata to the new, empty disk, so LVM can restore the LV:
> # vgcfgrestore -n YourVGName /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/disc
> # vgscan
> # vgchange -ay
> # reiserfsck --rebuild-tree /dev/YourVGName
> # mount /dev/YourVGName
>
> There are a number of pitfalls along the way (not finding a disk of
> the same size is probably #1, but there is a way. If you can't find
> one, pvcreate a larger disk with -s. Use vgcfgrestore -ll to list the
> VG metadata stored in the backup, including the exact size of the dead
> PV.) but this is the basic layout. Heinz was kind enough to walk me
> through this when I had problems so now I feel like an expert. ;-)

Hmm this gives some handles to try again.

> It is. It's also the primary reason I use it instead of RAID. However,
> if there's money behind the archive (in my case, there isn't) you can
> go for a hardware RAID solution that offers the ability to grow the
> RAID. You will still need a bunch of same-size disks, but I could live
> with that, maybe you could too.

It's not so much money in this server, its more a question of time and
effort... :-)

> You can also combine RAID and LVM in various ways in an attempt to
> minimize the need for spare disks and maximize the size of useable
> space. Perhaps one RAID-5 array of one size disks and use LVM to
> concatenate it with another RAID-5 set of differently-sized disks. You
> can use NFS or Coda to glue two or more file servers together over the
> network if you run out of physical space in one of the machines.

Expandability is the main object and now also reliability ;-)
I guess mirroring is the best option for expanding as IDE drives tend to
grow fast these days. So for every upgrade we just hang in two new
larger drives, move the data and remove the two smallest ones expanding
the lvm effectively by 1 new drive minus the size of the smallest one.

> John> You've basically hit upon the basic tradeoffs here, though you're
> John> missing a performance issue, in that you should really try to keep
> John> just one drive per IDE channel if at all possible from a
> performance
> John> point of view.

Since this server machine is connected over 100 Mb network, performance
is not an issue, maybe in time when Gigabit switches are more affordable
this will become a problem. Nevertheless, the Linux server performed
already far better than the Windows 98/XP system that was used before.

> If he's doing the same trade-offs I am, he values size over
> performance (which is 'good enough' for many uses even with shared IDE
> channels).

Gert