Re: [linux-lvm] Drive gone bad, now what?

Jayson Garrell wrote:

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 11:51, Gert van der Knokke wrote:

Where on earth do you backup 300 Gb on ? On tapes ? For the price of a tape device including tapes which can handle this amount of data you can buy a lot of harddisks...

At my office we are currently using a OverLand DLT autoloader,
LoaderXpress. It uses 10 40/80G tapes for a total of 400G native and
800G compressed @ 6Mb/s. Yes it wasn't cheap but you can't put a price
on someone else's data.

True, but what if I stick 2 IDE drives of 250 Gb in an external USB2 or Firewire box I have 500 Gb and speeds of 20 to 30 Mbyte/s at a fraction of the cost.
And those boxes can be put into a safe too.

Mind this, I'm just stirring up things a bit to get some perspective view of cost versus reliability.

Gert