[linux-lvm] Problems with initrd for LVM2 on 2.6.0-test8 and -test9 kernels.. .

Weber, Geoffrey M. Geoffrey.Weber at mcleodusa.com
Wed Oct 29 17:53:02 UTC 2003

Greetings all,

I have been having quite a few problems getting a server I am setting up to
use root on a LVM2 setup.  I used the "lvmcreate_initrd" script as suggested
on the 'net, and also tried to hand-edit some of the LVM2 requirements into
that initrd image (such as the /dev/mapper/control mknod command from the
initialization script and /lib/devmapper.so library).  As soon as I try to
use LILO or GRUB with the "root=/dev/vg00/root" or "root=3f00" (device major
and minor numbers), my machine hangs after "Uncompressing Linux... Ok,
booting the kernel.".

I have also tried (unsuccessfully) to use an initrd image I found on the
'net at http://www.comedia.it/~bluca/cooker/lvm2/

.. and also tried modifying this to work (along with the evms-supplied
initrd image).  All hang at the same point.  I got an idea to start a shell
inside the initrd image when booting on my setup root partition to see what
I could find out. When trying to use the Busybox "ash" command inside the
modified evms initrd image, however, the machine doesn't halt and give me a
shell at all but keeps booting.

Is there something that I can try out or that I am overlooking?

Thanks,
    Geoff

NOTICE: This electronic mail transmission may contain confidential
information and is intended only for the person(s) named.  Any use, copying
or disclosure by any other person is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender via e-mail.