[petro at corp.vendio.com: Re: [linux-lvm] Drive gone bad, now what?]

Stephen C Woods scw at seas.ucla.edu
Thu Oct 30 09:59:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 01:41:21PM -0800, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>> On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 16:05, John Stoffel wrote:
>> > But moving that much data in a short amount of time isn't always easy.
>> Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes
>> hurtling down the highway.
>>                                          Andrew Tannenbaum

>    Yes, but it takes *DAYS* to write that many tapes.

   The context of the station-wagon remark is from the infancy of the
internet (56Kbps lines linking hubs) and a discussion of thebest way
to move data from one data center to another.  Remember back in those
days you had somewhere between 5 and 50 tape drives in your data center.
  <scw> been there done that

--
-----
Stephen C. Woods; UCLA SEASnet; 2567 Boelter hall; LA CA 90095; (310)-825-8614