[linux-lvm] Can not boot: unable to mount root fs:

Jayson Garrell kyi at kyi.sytes.net
Wed Sep 3 14:16:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 10:37, Samuel A. Rogers wrote:
> Herbert,
>
> I could send you a boot log but there is no information in it (to this problem) because the system
> locks up before it mounts the root (or other) partitions. Sorry your right that I should have
> included the boot loader, as it is grub. I am not sure what your wanting here, if it is a file or
> for me to discribe what I selected in the configuration. If it is a file please let me know what
> directory it is in and I will be happy to include it. I did select LVM and ext3 in the configuration.
>
> Thank you for your help,
>
> 	Sam.
>
> Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 10:10:22AM -0700, Samuel A. Rogers wrote:
> >
> >>So far I can not compile and boot any kernel from 2.4.19 - 2.4.21. I get
> >>the below error message:
> >>
> >>VFS: cannot open device 3a:00
> >>kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs 3a:00
> >

> > send some more information, like a complete
> > bootup log, your boot loader and your kernel
> > configuration ...

I have had nothing but problems trying to get grub to boot a lvm root
fs. I use lilo and have no problems at all. Below is the section of my
lilo.conf.

image = /boot/bzImage
        root = /dev/vg0/lv0
        ramdisk = 8192
        initrd = /boot/initrd-lvm-2.4.20-gaming-r5.gz
        label = shadow
        read-only

I don't know about grub but in lilo I always had to give the ramdisk
size.

Jayson Garrell