[linux-lvm] i2o devices and lvm Error on LE versus PE

Heinz J . Mauelshagen mauelshagen at sistina.com
Mon Sep 22 05:06:02 UTC 2003

On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 01:54:18PM +0200, Gianmichele Murano wrote:
> HI  ALL
>
> as first thing, i say hallo to you.
>
> now i tell you my problem:
> on a controler raid  (i2o devices) i have a debian distro.
> Recently i have enlarged the logical volumes  on this controler.
> All seemed ok,  i was able to remount the file systems and to copy and install
> programs and data on resized volumes.
>
> So, i was out of office and the development server was tuned off by person who
> wasn't me (so i don't know what is the matter, if happened any thing ).

Are all Physical Volumes accessible (run pvscan and analyze) ?
If any are missing that is likely to explain your problem.

It is hard to help you here without knowing what happened to the system :(

Of course you can use a metadata backup and restore it but this is no
good advice either without knowing which changes have been made (i.e. multiple
lvcreate/lvremove/lvextend/lvreduce meanwhile) and which metadata backup
should be restored, preusmably _all_ PVs are accessible.

You want to read pvcreate and vgcfgrestore manual pages and use
the -ll option of vgcfgrestore to analyze your backup contents.

> later, when in was in office i have turn on the server and the vgscan failed,
> it said " ..omissis... only  found 499 of 500  LE for LV
> /dev/volume1/lgv1(0)" .
> I don't undestand what was happened.
> It is possible that a bad tuned off make a problem as this?
> Any body know the answer?
>
> To solve the trouble i thinked to do in this way:
> to reduce the LV lgv1 of some LE , in this way the info about the number of LE
> will rewrite and (i hope) the problem vanish.The idea seems good, isn't?
> But i can't do this because the volume group is inactive.
> Anybody know a method to active a volume group also if vgscan fail?
>
> Please, i MUST to recove the data on the lv, we don't have a backup policy
> >:^>

Regards,
Heinz    -- The LVM Guy --

*** Software bugs are stupid.
    Nevertheless it needs not so stupid people to solve them ***

Heinz Mauelshagen                                 Sistina Software Inc.
Senior Consultant/Developer                       Am Sonnenhang 11
                                                  56242 Marienrachdorf
                                                  Germany
Mauelshagen at Sistina.com                           +49 2626 141200
                                                       FAX 924446