[linux-lvm] determining lv from mount point

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Tue Sep 23 15:38:02 UTC 2003

Montgomery, Kendal L <kendal.montgomery at qwest.com> wrote:

> The df command will already do that.  For instance, on my machine, if I do:
>
> [klmontg at klmontg klmontg]$ df /opt
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/vg01/opt          4194172   1610880   2583292  39% /opt
>
> It gives me the filesystem, etc.

Unfortunately, this doesn't help when trying to distinguish between
regular and lvm filesystems.  On my system, / and /boot are on regular
partitions.

bash-2.05b$ df /boot
/dev/sda1                99134     13828     80187  15% /boot
bash-2.05b$ df /usr
/dev/Volume00/LV_usr   4031680   2151280   1675600  57% /usr

I'd like to distinguish between these two without hardcoding knowledge
of device or volume names into my script.  One thing I have considered
is doing an ls -l on the device name and checking for the lvm major.
Of course, then I would have to hardcode the lvm major into my script.
I just figured someone must have a better way to do this.

thanks,
galen