Re : [linux-lvm] lvm 1 unable to boot

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) jean-luc.coulon at wanadoo.fr
Thu Apr 1 14:49:53 UTC 2004

Le 01.04.2004 15:48, Heinz Mauelshagen a écrit :
>On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 09:42:44PM +0100, Geoff Dolman wrote:

>which

>(something)

>> > Error 28 is ENOSPC - your initrd is too small to hold the metadata
>backups.
>>
>> Thanks - but how do I fix this?
>
>Append the kernel boot parameter "ramdisk_size=" and give a size in
>kilobytes
>(eg, 'ramdisk_size=16384' makes 16MB ram disks.

I don't think so. It is not the ramdisk size which has a problem but
the filesystem created to support the initrd files (/dev, /etc,
modules, scripts, ...). The size of this filesystem is fixed while
creating the initrd.

At boot time, lvm want to write some files in /etc (lvmtab and lvmtab.
d). While in the boot process and in the ramdisk, the /etc is part of
this filesystem. If there is not enough room on it, lvm crashes.

lvmcreate_initrd computes the needed space.

I tried to mount via the loopback an initrd created with
lvmcreate_initrd, add the stuff needed to have xfs and I got short on
the filesystem.... The ramdisk was 8Mo and the initrd about 6Mb...

--
Regards
			- Jean-Luc