[linux-lvm] snapshots and 2.6 kernel

darren.miller at philips.com darren.miller at philips.com
Tue Apr 6 14:52:53 UTC 2004

Let me about it, presently I have an issue with the latest incarnation.

2.6.5rc1 with the present udm1 patches.  when you create a snapshot with
this sequence it doesn't error and is all great until try to remove it
which results in lvremove hanging and everything else with it.  Then can't
get the volume online again at all.. it simply won't mount and the mount
command hangs.  great init.

Still I haven't had a response on this little number yet

Darren Miller
Senior Systems Support Engineer
Microsoft Certified Professional
SCO Advanced Certified Engineer
Infomation Systems Department (Core Server Support)
Philips Semiconductors,Milbrook Industrial Estate,Southampton,SO15
0DJ,England
Direct Dial In: +44 (0) 2380 312681

|         |    Craig Ringer             |
|         |    <craig at postnewspapers.com|
|         |    .au>                     |
|         |    Sent by:                 |
|         |    linux-lvm-bounces at redhat.|
|         |    com                      |
|         |    06/04/2004 15:01         |
|         |    Please respond to LVM    |
|         |    general discussion and   |
|         |    development              |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                  |
  |           To:   LVM general discussion and development <linux-lvm at redhat.com>                                    |
  |           cc:   (bcc: Darren Miller/SOU/SC/PHILIPS)                                                              |
  |           Subject:    Re: [linux-lvm] snapshots and 2.6 kernel                                                   |
  |                                                                                                                  |
  |           Classification:                                                                                        |
  |                                                                                                                  |

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 22:07, darren.miller at philips.com wrote:
> Getting the volume active is a pain I found that you have to reboot the
> system and when it comes back you need to create a link your volume group

> directory for the snapshot you create, atleast after the reboot the
> snapshot device showup in /dev/mapper which is a start right.

It would be _really_ good if LVM2 would fail gracefully when a snapshot
fails, or try to discover whether or not it can take the snapshot before
trying. At the very least a big **WARNING** in the _LVM2_ docs and in
lvcreate would help a lot.

I found LVM1 snapshots so perfect that I never thought about them
anymore; LVM2 on 2.6 was a nasty shock that I'd love to see others saved
from.

Craig Ringer