[linux-lvm] LVM and multiple HBA ports

Dan Bar Dov danb at voltaire.com
Wed Apr 21 16:04:13 UTC 2004

I have a problem using two (or more) ports connected to the same storage.

Linux does not identify that the two LUNs it discovers is actually the same.
When I create a PV all is well.
The PV gets created and is ACTIVE. However, through the other port, the PV
is also discovered, but is marked INACTIVE in the LVM database.

When I try to create a VG using the active path, LVM scans all PVs in order.
If it finds the INACTIVE instance first, the VG creation fails.

I'm using LVM 1.0.3, please let mw know if such a situation (connecting
storage through multiple ports) is handled better in another version, or
suggest how to overcome the problem.

Thanks,
Dan