[linux-lvm] About Extending LVM size with Hardware Raid

Greg Freemyer freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com
Wed Apr 21 20:24:49 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 13:38, Vahric MUHTARYAN wrote:
> Hi Everybody ?!
>
> 	Maybe everybody know Raid5 can extend easily. I'm using hardware
> raid and I wonder What extend utulity I have to use for system . resize or
> LVM ..
> Because with hardware raid system looks all disks like a one logical disk at
> this moment How can I intorduce extended array to system ...
>

> Thanks
In that case you may not want to be using LVM.

Most of the Linux filesystems have an extend capability, so that is not
a problem.

I don't know how to get the kernel itself to rescan the hardware for
capacity changes.  Obviously you can reboot, but there must be a better
way.

I would look for SAN documentation that describes the resize process.
The commands will likely be exactly the same from the Linux perspective.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer