[linux-lvm] About Extending LVM size with Hardware Raid

Clint Byrum cbyrum at spamaps.org
Thu Apr 22 04:53:32 UTC 2004

On Wednesday, April 21, 2004, at 02:09 PM, Glen Harris wrote:

> I have a similar system - a fibre channel RAID box. I added a disk to
> it
> and expanded the RAID5 device, then used the scsiadd command to rescan
> the device. If your card emulates a SCSI disk, this may work.
> Otherwise,
> try unloading/loading the kernel driver module(if possible), and
> failing
> that a reboot should work.
>
> Anyway, the new size was reported correctly as 1.25Tb, so I then used
> pvresize to grow the pv to the new size of the device.

Just curious, but what kind of rebuild time do you see on that 1.25TB
RAID5 volume?

I know you have a hardware controller, but I've found that with Linux's
software RAID5, anything over 400GB or so will take over 3 hours on a
decent disk system to rebuild. Thats why I use LVM to aggregate several
RAID5 volumes, rather than one giant RAID5. I generally expect that it
will take a couple of hours to see the failure, find a replacement, and
get it installed in the machine (thats if I'm onsite, and have spares
on hand ) With a 2 hour rebuild time, I'm already looking at 4 hours of
exposure where another disk failure means data loss. Thats already
pretty high to me, especially if there's something systemic causing
drives to fail.

Even with hot spares, you still have to be careful during the array
rebuild. :-P