[linux-lvm] About extending partiton with lvm+ext3

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) jean-luc.coulon at wanadoo.fr
Tue Apr 27 12:10:34 UTC 2004

Le 27.04.2004 00:29:21, Heinz Mauelshagen a écrit :
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 09:59:54PM +0300, Vahric MUHTARYAN wrote:
> > Hi Everybody ,
> >
> > I'm reading lvm-how to and I wonder those any tools like e2fsadm ,
> > ext2resize ?!! in Redhat ... Because I want to exten ext3
> >
> > Does command for only ext2 ?!
>
> Yes.

You can resize an ext3 filesystem with the resize2fs command. Both
enlarge or shrink it.
But : this is allowed only on an *offline* (umounted) filsystem,
resize2fs doesnt take care of the underlaying partition, you have to
enlarge the partition (logical volume) before an enlarge operation or
shrink it after a shrink operation.

man 8 resize2fs

<<
RESIZE2FS(8)

NAME
       resize2fs - ext2/ext3 file system resizer

[ ... ]

Do the operation as following:
-unmount the logical volume holding the filesystem you want to enlarge
-lvwextend to enlarge the partition
-resize2fs to enlarge the filesystem
-remount the logical volume

--