[linux-lvm] Re: pvcreate_name_from_kdev_t no VALID PV

Brian Zaugg bzaugg at pacbell.net
Fri Apr 30 17:36:12 UTC 2004

Hello Heinz and fellow list members,

Earlier today, I posted with a problem with my PV's not being seen
following a system crash. I've found the cause, but not a permanent
fix. It looks like a bug to me. The system had a cd in its ide cdrom
drive, but the cd was not mounted. When I removed the cd, I was able to
pvscan, vgscan, and restore my previous vg configuration. No data loss;
I'm very happy. But, I'm left wondering why/how an unmounted cd could
cause LVM to fail to start. Should I report this as a bug to LVM?
3ware? ide-scsi kernel module? Any suggestions appreciated.

-Brian

On Apr 30, 2004, at 2:30 AM, Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:

<SNIP>

> Don't have access to such 3ware HW here. Maybe they use /dev/Something/
> as the namespace to their devices in which case LVM1 needs extending in
> lvm_dir_cache.c and lvm_check_partitioned_dev.c.
>
> Please tell me if that is the case and the exact subdirectory they use
> and I'll provide a patch.

<SNIP>