[linux-lvm] pvmove wont work

AJ Lewis alewis at redhat.com
Mon Aug 30 15:46:45 UTC 2004

On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 10:34:25PM +0100, Rupert Hair wrote:
> Quoting Andreas Dahlgren <andreas.dahlgren at home.se>:
>
> > Just upgraded to 2.6.8.1 and got much less errors but pvmove still wont
> > work.
> > # pvmove -t /dev/hdc
> >   Test mode: Metadata will NOT be updated.
> >   mirror: Required device-mapper target(s) not detected in your kernel
> >
> > anyone knows why this wont work?
> Hi Andreas,
>
> I think I posted exactly the same quiestion to the list some time ago.  The
> answer is that you need the Device Mapper Mirror Target compiled into (or as a
> module in) your kernel.  You will need to get the "unstable" patches from the
> following URL:
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/dm/patches.html
>
> Feel free to mail me if you need any more info on this.

Erm...the mirror target is available in 2.6.8.1 now I believe - you just need
to make sure it's enabled in your .config when you compile your kernel.  I
believe the dm-mirror target is all that's required for pvmove.

regards,
--
AJ Lewis                                   Voice:  612-638-0500
Red Hat Inc.                               E-Mail: alewis at redhat.com
720 Washington Ave. SE, Suite 200
Minneapolis, MN 55414

Current GPG fingerprint = D9F8 EDCE 4242 855F A03D  9B63 F50C 54A8 578C 8715
Grab the key at: http://people.redhat.com/alewis/gpg.html or one of the
many keyservers out there...