[linux-lvm] lvm lost after debian upgrade

Daniel Roth daniel at danielroth.se
Sat Dec 11 02:25:03 UTC 2004

Hi all!

I got this nice idea today to do a apt-get update/upgrade on my system.
when it was done I moved the box, and upon reboot my lvm was gone. I
think I had lvm1 before, but now it seems like I have
LVM version:     2.00.29 (2004-11-27)
Is this maybe what is causing the problem?

My lvm is at /dev/volume_group/mylv, my lvm consisted of hde,g,i

I noticed from dmesg that
LVM version 1.0.5+(22/07/2002) module loaded
and that devfs wouldn't be started... (no volumes or equiv)

Please advice, I got pretty much schoolwork on it...

Daniel

Some shelldumps
roth:~# lvmdiskscan
  /dev/hda1  [        2.05 GB]
  /dev/hde1  [       76.69 GB]
  /dev/hdg1  [        1.00 KB]
  /dev/hdi1  [      149.05 GB]
  /dev/hda2  [        1.00 KB]
  /dev/hda5  [      346.47 MB]
  /dev/hdg5  [       57.25 GB]
  0 disks
  7 partitions
  0 LVM physical volume whole disks
  0 LVM physical volumes

roth:~# vgcfgrestore -ll -n mylv
  Please specify a *single* volume group to restore.

roth:~# vgcfgrestore -n mylv /dev/hdg
  /etc/lvm/backup/hdg: stat failed: No such file or directory
  Couldn't read volume group metadata.
  Restore failed.
roth:~# vgcfgrestore -n mylv /dev/hdg1
  /etc/lvm/backup/hdg1: stat failed: No such file or directory
  Couldn't read volume group metadata.
  Restore failed.
roth:~# vgcfgrestore -n mylv /dev/hdg5
  /etc/lvm/backup/hdg5: stat failed: No such file or directory
  Couldn't read volume group metadata.
  Restore failed.

roth:~# vgscan
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
  /dev/hdf: open failed: No such device or address
  /dev/hdh: open failed: No such device or address
  /dev/hdj: open failed: No such device or address
  /dev/hdb1: open failed: No such device or address
  /dev/hdf1: open failed: No such device or address
  /dev/hdb20: open failed: No such device or address
  /dev/hdf20: open failed: No such device or address
  /dev/hdh20: open failed: No such device or address
  No volume groups found

roth:~# lvscan
  No volume groups found