[linux-lvm] some issues with pvmove

Aran Cox acox at ia.primustel.com
Mon Dec 13 16:37:23 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 20:43 +0000, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 02:13:03PM -0600, Aran Cox wrote:
> > I've been working on lvmove, a frontend to pvmove that I've used in the
> > past with LVM1 systems to re-organize the layout of logical volumes in a
> > volume group.  I keep getting failures with pvmove that require
> > restoring metadata from backup.
>
> Try to get full diagnostics from the simplest case you can which
> causes it to fail: turn on debug-to-file in lvm.conf:
>     log {
>         file="/tmp/lvm2.log"
>         level=7
>         activation=1
>     }
> then when it crashes, grab the current metadata
> with vgcfgbackup [may need -P if it's corrupt]
> (and check against /etc/lvm/backup/<vgname>)
>
> [If machine hangs you'll may have to set activation=0
> but that loses some of the debug info we want]
>
> and dump the device-mapper status:
>   dmsetup info -c
>   dmsetup status
>   dmsetup table
>
> Alasdair

Basically I ended up buying a new HD and after adding that to the VG I
never triggered that bug again.  I intend to try a similar re-
organization on a lab machine some time soonish.  If I trigger any such
bugs in the future I'll try and collect all of the above info before
posting.

--
Aran Cox <acox at ia.primustel.com>