RE: [linux-lvm] How to increase/decrease space

Thanks Nicoya, It worked.

I was able to reduce my root "/" file system size, following the
instructions in
http://www.balug.org/pipermail/balug-talk/2002-April/000310.html .

but had to perform three additional steps;
(a) disable "/" fs mount in "fstab"
 (b)    reboot using rescue CD, and perfrom (i) resize2fs, (ii) lvreduce
 (c)    mount the "/" fs and change the "fstab" to enable "/" fs mount and
reboot.

thanks for everyone help.

                      "Nicoya Helm"
                      <NHELM2 kumc edu>        To:       <linux-lvm redhat com>
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      linux-lvm-bounces        Subject:  RE: [linux-lvm] How to increase/decrease space
                      @redhat.com

                      12/16/2004 03:20
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      LVM general
                      discussion and
                      development

>>> AdabalaP schneider com 12/16/04 2:05 PM >>>
>Thanks Nicoya. I was successfully able to increase the size of the
"/usr"
>file system, By using "resize2fs" command.

>Now, that i am able to increase the FS size, how do i go about
reducing the
>FS size with out the data loss, especially with "/" file system ?

That part I don't have experience with, but obviously the first step is
to reduce the amount of actual data on the FS so that it is less than
the size you want to shrink it to. If you are using LVM 1, you can use
e2fsadm to shrink the LV and the FS in one step, but there is no e2fsadm
for LVM2 .  For LVM 2 you have to do the 2-step resize2fs and lvreduce
as described in this post to another list:

http://www.balug.org/pipermail/balug-talk/2002-April/000310.html

>While increasing the space on a LV, Do i need to do lvresize,
lvextend,
>resize2fs or just lvextend and resize2fs ?

You should only need to do lvresize _or_ lvextend, then resize2fs.

Nicoya Helm
Project Manager, Network Services
University of Kansas Medical Center
nhelm2 kumc edu