Re: [linux-lvm] Best practice for lvm on raid-5

On Mon, 02.02.04, Jens Hoffrichter <joho hausboot org> wrote:

> Currently I have /dev/md0 as my only physical volume, but this will lead
> to problems if I am going to expand the raid 5 by adding another 80 GB
> harddrive to (as pvresize is not implemented again yet, as I understand).

Unless I am mistaken, it is not even possible to expand /dev/md0 by adding
another drive in the first place. And because linux software raid has
no way of knowing which blocks are in use and which are not, i do not see
how this could ever be possible.

If you add another array (raid1 or raid5) as /dev/md1, you can vgextend your
VG.

cheers,

Nils

--
Nils Juergens  | nils muon de | icq 7090774
Having problems sending big files over the net?