[linux-lvm] multi-disk vg?

Bradley Alexander storm at tux.org
Thu Feb 5 22:05:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:11:04 -0800 (PST)
Chris Conn <cmcgoat at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I set up rootvg and datavg first and then last night
> I followed the LVM How-To and converted the setup the
> mainvg VG with root. All works well.
>
> Now I'm wondering if I can merge mainvg and rootvg
> as one VG though they're on two seperate disks. Is this
> possible? And if so is it a good idea?

As the tanker says in StarCraft, "Ab-so-lutely." I actually have but a
single VG spread across 3 PVs:

[defiant /home/storm]# vgdisplay -v
[SNIP]
--- Physical volumes ---
PV Name (#)           /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/disc (2)
PV Status             available / allocatable
Total PE / Free PE    3575 / 2223

PV Name (#)           /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3 (1)
PV Status             available / allocatable
Total PE / Free PE    3341 / 0

PV Name (#)           /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/disc (3)
PV Status             available / allocatable
Total PE / Free PE    4884 / 3721

When I add a disk, its as easy as putting the drive in and doing a
pvcreate...

As for the actual combining, I believe you would (assuming you have space
in mainvg) lvcreate for each LV in rootvg, mount to a directory (say,
/mnt), cp -avx everything over and mount in place of the current volume
(from single user mode, of course). once complete, you should be free to
remove your PVs from rootvg, remove rootvg and add your PVs to mainvg.

--
--Brad
Bradley M. Alexander                |