Re: [linux-lvm]Re: corrupt /dev/lvm - bizzare properties

Am Sonntag, 8. Februar 2004 13:00 schrieb Chris Doherty:
> Quoting Måns Rullgård <mru kth se>:
> > Chris Doherty <chris doherty adelaide edu au> writes:
> > > I've been using LVM happily for several months without any
> > > complaints or problems.  This morning that all changed.  The boot
> > > process stopped cold when lvm-mod (w|c)ouldn't load.  My first
> > > impulse was to fsck, which I did as a matter of course.  Eventually,
> > > I stumbled across what appears to be the source of my problem:
> > >
> > > root connect4:~# ls -la /dev/lvm
> > > ?---rws-w-  8306 840966198 976250230 875573298 Sep 24  2004 /dev/lvm
> >
> > Your filesystem seems to have taken some heavy blows.  You should fsck
> > it properly.  You might need the -f flag to fsck to force a complete
> > check if filesystem is marked clean.
>
> the filesystem can't be mounted (which is the really worrying part) so i
> can't fsck it.

A filesystem that is to be fscked can and may *never* be mounted when
performing an fsck. Usually all fsck tools won't do anything but stop if the
filesystem (fsck was called for)  is currently mounted! If your root
filesystem is corrupt boot from a rescue CD or similar and then check the
filesystem.

Have a nice day
Rainer
--