Re: [linux-lvm] Re: LVM2 on top of RAID1? (x86_64)

Joe Thornber wrote:

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 09:06:03PM +0100, Luca Berra wrote:

this won't help if the device is not yet opened by md
i posted a patch to this list that checks for an md superblock.
i am pushing for consideration of this approach.

One of the problems with LVM1 was that there was far too much hard
coded behaviour such as this.

This is a good point, but:
The current LVM2 behaviour is confusing for users that upgrade from 2.4/lvm1 to 2.6/lvm2 so i would like to address it.
LVM2 already code already contains exceptions for MD devices.
since we have a configuration file we could add a configuration switch for ignoring devices with md superblocks (possibly defaulting to ignore, which is what users expect)

WDYT?

L.