[linux-lvm] Problems importing volume group

Chris Wells chris at fusion-hosting.net
Fri Feb 13 12:49:02 UTC 2004

Hello all,

I'm still a newbie to LVM but I've followed a FAQ in exporting my VG (I
had to replace a failing system drive - not in the VG).  When I replaced
the drive and tried to import the volume group, I get the following
errors:

vgimport kbvg /dev/hde /dev/hdf
vgimport -- ERROR "pv_check_consistency(): PE size" checking physical
volume consistency of "/dev/hde"
vgimport -- ERROR "pv_check_consistency(): PE size" checking physical
volume consistency of "/dev/hdf"
vgimport -- ERROR: no valid physical volumes found to import volume group
"kbvg"

When I do a pvscan, I get:

pvscan
pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hde"  is in EXPORTED VG "kbvg" [0 / 0 free]
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdf"  is in EXPORTED VG "kbvg" [0 / 0 free]
pvscan -- total: 2 [37.46 MB] / in use: 2 [37.46 MB] / in no VG: 0 [0]

I get these errors even when replacing the old drive and trying to import
back.  Any ideas on what I can do next or what the problem could be?  Or..
at least, does anyone know of any tools which I can use to retrieve data
from these drives?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

--
Thanks,