Re: [linux-lvm] lvm pvscan or vgscan very slow

Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
It shouldn't be that slow!
Look at your system log and/or run with -vvv to see why it's so slow.

# lvm pvscan -vvv > ~/pvscan-list # grep "Added to device cache" pvscan-list | wc -l 15813

I guess the number of devices to be scanned is just too large (and my computer is also a very slow one). Is there some way to specify a narrower range of devices to be scanned in LVM2?

We've a couple of speed-ups that might help (one uses sysfs to reduce
the number of devices to scan) - they're in the queue of things waiting
to be checked into CVS after the repository move.
I'll try to get them imported tomorrow.
This kind of patch will definitely help!

--Ling