[linux-lvm] vgck seg faulting

B. J. Zolp bjzolp at wisc.edu
Mon Jan 5 13:56:01 UTC 2004

I recently replaced a failing drive in my lvm1 volume group by doing a
dd from the bad drive to a new drive.  However after a few days I can no
longer mount the logical volume.  When I try to the mount the volume I
get this output:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/vg0/logical0,
       or too many mounted file systems

I have a feeling that the superblock is corrupt.

I tried running vgck, but it seg faults after a point:

vgck -v
vgck -- locking logical volume manager
vgck -- finding all volume group(s)
vgck -- checking volume group name "vg0"
vgck -- checking existence of volume group "vg0"
vgck -- reading volume group data for "vg0" from lvmtab
vgck -- checking volume group consistency  of "vg0" in lvmtab
vgck -- VGDA of "vg0" in lvmtab is consistent
vgck -- reading volume group data for "vg0" from physical volume(s)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Can anyone help me get this mounted again?

thanks,

Bernard Zolp