[linux-lvm] which filesystem to use on slackware

Francis SOUYRI francis.souyri at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jan 10 05:02:01 UTC 2004

Hi Chris,

    I think the performances are not the main things in your case,  you
need to see the "managment" capabilities of each filesystems, If you
want to learn more about the LVM probably you test the move of a logical
volume, the extend, reduce of a logical volume and...

With Ext3 you can grow the filesystem offline and with a kernel patch
you can grow online,  you can not shrink.

Reiserfs V3 you can grow the filesystem online and skrink offline. I do
not know the capabilities of the ReiserFS V4 (you need to patch the
kernel if you want to test Reiserfs V4) .

Xfs you can grow the filesystem online, no shrink.

Jfs you can grow offline (probably there is a patch for online growing),
no shrink.

With the last version of lilo and grub you can boot all these
filesystems with the LVM (probably grub need a patch to support the boot
form a logical volume).

Best regards.

Francis