[linux-lvm] No VFS-lock under 2.6.x ?

To my surprise, when attempting to do a live snapshot of a XFS filesystem on
2.6.1, it failed miserably, and caused the machine to spin out of control,
denying access to the main filesystems.

I couldn't find a patch on the net anywhere.

What is the state of VFS locking on 2.6.x?

And in a related question, is the 2.4.xx patch ever going to be integrated
into the mainline kernel? This is getting silly now.

Thanks.

-D
--
Begin the unnecessarily slow-moving dipping mechanism!