[linux-lvm] Strange file system errors

Jord Tanner jord at indygecko.com
Wed Jan 14 19:17:01 UTC 2004

Assuming you have IDE drives, it sounds like a write caching problem.
This problem is amplified with the large caches on newer drives. A
sudden power down causes the the data is the cache to be lost. The
kernel doesn't know this has occured, because the drive lies, and claims
that the cache has been flushed, resulting in file system _and_ journal
corruption.

Try the tests again with write caching off. You can do this with "hdparm
-W0 /dev/hdX"

Jord Tanner

--
Jord Tanner <jord at indygecko.com>