[linux-lvm] No Subject

Ken Fuchs kfuchs at winternet.com
Thu Jan 15 08:49:02 UTC 2004

trylinux wrote:

>First things first. Is there a FAQ for this group?

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/index.html

It covers LVM 1 and has been recently updated for verion 1.0.8.

>Now then, I'm running Fedore Core/1 (Red Hat 9) with LVM 1.0.3-13 (or at
>least RPM says it's 1.0.3). I have a single volume group containing a single
>disk. While /boot is NOT in the volume group (for obvious reasons),
>everything else, include / is. / is a ext3 filesystem.

This is a Red Hat patched version of LVM 1.0.3, but the problem is not
version related.

>I recently used vgrename to rename the volume group (from rootvol to rootvg
>-- just a test to learn some more), and it seemed to succeed. I was able to
>run afterwards with no problems. On the first reboot after this, though, my
>system can no longer boot. Here's a rough transcription of what's going on:

>Mounting root filesystem
>mount: error 2 mounting ext3
>pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrt) failed: 2
>umount /initrd/proc failed: 2
>Freeing unused kernel memory: 136k freed
>Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

Was "root=/dev/rootvol/root" changed to "root=/dev/rootvg/root" in the
/boot/grub/grub.conf file?

>I'd be happy to provide more info if it would help anyone. (grub.conf,
>fstab, etc.)

Of course the volume group name change must be done in /etc/fstab also.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>